· As a new hire, every department has a Union Steward and Health & Safety representative in the workplace.
· There is training available for employees wishing to become active in the union.
· You must report all injuries to your supervisor no matter how small.
· All employees should keep a written record of all hours/shifts you work. i.e. on a wall calendar, pocket calendar or personal time book.
· You must report every instance when you are exposed to a chemical or hazardous environment to your foreman.
· Children or grandchildren of steelworkers can apply to a number of scholarships.
· The scholarships become available starting the middle of March each year and the forms may be picked up at the Union Hall Front Office.
· On Essar Steel Algoma’s intranet, under Public Folders, inside downday support there are many plant wide canvasses of overtime beyond just trades work.
· If you are not established you are still entitled to statutory holiday pay.
· You must fill out an ER224 Form to indicate your preference of shift and schedule and the form is available through your supervisor.
· You must speak to your supervisor prior to an overtime shift being worked in order to be paid on a grievance.